Re: [LUG] Multiple X setups...

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to have a "default" Xorg config, but
> if it fails for an alternative config to be attempted - I don't mind if
> this is within the Xorg config file or if it involves some scripting.
>
> Background: I have a USB harddrive that I tend to keep with me.  At
> College I plug it into the machine connected to the projector, alas
> the machines in question often have different setups.  Some have
> Intels, some have ATIs.  Some have a VGA splitter so the monitor and
> projector work together, some have single connections (either monitor or
> projector, but not both).  If I delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and
> restart X/GDM then Ubuntu goes into 640x480 VESA mode from where I can
> then configure the driver, resolution, refresh rate, etc.
>
> Since there are only a limited number of configurations (Intel +
> Projector, Intel + Monitor, Intel + [Projector + Monitor], ATI +
> Projector, ATI + Monitor, ATI + [Projector + Monitor]), it'd be really
> handy if I could spend an hour sorting it out so that it "just works"
> thereafter.
>
> Cheers.
> Grant.

you can rename the xorg.conf to something else,  that way if the main
file gets screwed up you got a back up

I guess, its possible to say have xorg.conf.card.monitor that works,  if
you switch over to a different card or something

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug