[LUG] Multiple X setups...

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to have a "default" Xorg config, but
if it fails for an alternative config to be attempted - I don't mind if
this is within the Xorg config file or if it involves some scripting.

Background: I have a USB harddrive that I tend to keep with me.  At
College I plug it into the machine connected to the projector, alas
the machines in question often have different setups.  Some have
Intels, some have ATIs.  Some have a VGA splitter so the monitor and
projector work together, some have single connections (either monitor or
projector, but not both).  If I delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and
restart X/GDM then Ubuntu goes into 640x480 VESA mode from where I can
then configure the driver, resolution, refresh rate, etc.

Since there are only a limited number of configurations (Intel +
Projector, Intel + Monitor, Intel + [Projector + Monitor], ATI +
Projector, ATI + Monitor, ATI + [Projector + Monitor]), it'd be really
handy if I could spend an hour sorting it out so that it "just works"
thereafter.

Cheers.
Grant.