Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

For the last few years I have controlled what OS loads by using a free boot
loader called xosl.
X operating system loader.
It can be found on sourceforge.
It allows just about any partition to be selected in order of boot
preference.
LiLO or grub can be configured to just have whatever entries needed or just
linux if wanted.
Xosl will remember partitions, can hide partitions for other os's that are
fussy about being on a different hardisk or extended partition has has a lot
of other options.

It can be password protected, set to boot a default or wait for whatever in
on the list to be selected.
It GUI driven but can be used without a mouse if for instance you use a usb
mouse that isn't recognised by the bios.

If you dual boot and the mbr gets overwritten then running the setup will
have the loader set up again within minutes.
I have used this to dual boot XP,98,Ubuntu & Suse as well as in the past
Beos with no problems and no editing of any congig files.

Ray