Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:10:06 +0000
Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tony,

> Office. She does have a licence. She claims that if you try to write
> stuff with OO Calc, save it as .xls and send it to a M$ Office user
> they can't read it. That was my experience some while ago; has it

It's possibly as a result of a combination of things that the
recipients could not read the file sent.  OOo has exported to M$
formats for some time.  *Not* the latest M$ .*x formats, though.  Yet.

First, in OOo make sure that you select the correct file type to save
the spreadsheet as;  In the "Save As..." dialogue box, makes sure you
select the correct "File Type", for example; Microsoft Excel 95 (.xls)

Second, in the same dialogue box, make sure that "Automatic file name
extension" is selected (has an X in it), otherwise Windows won't know
what to do with the file since its file recognition relies on extension
names being accurate.

Alternatively, tell the recipient(s) that their software is defective,
if it won't open ISO standard documents (which OOo supports), and
encourage them to install the ODT plugin for Windows Office from the
Sun web site.

--
 Regards  _

You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive
Give You Nothing - Bad Religion