Re: [LUG] BT Broadband/HomeHub

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Steph Foster wrote:
>
>> Grant Sewell wrote:

>>> Last time I had anything to do with a BT HomeHub I could easily get to it
>>> from telnet, if not from a browser.  Bear in mind that this was about
>>> 18months ago and I'm sure BT have fiddled with them in the meantime.
>>>
>>> Grant.
>>>

>> Its a standard web interface on 192.168.1.254:80
>>

> How do you install Linux on to broadband ??
>

> Paul

The BT home hub has 2 ethernet ports & a dhcp server

All you should need to do is simply connect your box to the home hub
using a RJ 45 lead

Linux should try to obtain an ip straight from the hub via dhcp as soon
as it detects that eth0 (the first ethernet interface) is connected to a
network

The home hub doesn't even need a password or a user name

Obviously this only applies on using the BT home hub on a BT internet
connection but the same is true with most router modems

Plug them in , connect them up, log into the routers admin page (usually
a web interface) , set your username and password (as provided by your
provider) and off you go

The Homehub acts as the dns server too, referring all dns requests
through to BT's nameservers, all transparently and with no need for any
software at all

The only caveat here is that with the BT homehub the wireless lan is on
by default if i remember correctly

Log into the web interface to turn it off else suffer some person
getting a free ride on your internet

Steph