Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:24:02 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do agree, to some extend, with your sentiments regarding VirtualBox.
> Unfortunately I believe one of the first hurdles is to try and get people
> to accept that Linux is not Windows and activities/habits brought across
> from Windows may not work under Linux.  You heard about "VirtualBox" and
> your first inclination was to look for it on the Internet and download what
> was presented to you - a reasonable thing to do - Innotek's own .deb file.
> Were you not inclined to find out whether VirtualBox was already in
> Kubuntu's repository?
>
> Grant.

Actually I did have a look in my files list first and didn't find it.
When I quickly found a deb file for my distro on the web site  I went
with it. If I hadn't found that file so easily I might well have
started looking more into the repositories.

By the way, I used VB just as an example where I was able to sort out
problems easily whereas a newbie might have been lost.

Neil Winchurst