Re: [LUG] Some help with javascript & firefox

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 10:59, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> I am struggling with DOM and dynamic form inputs if anyone can find the
> time to help.
>     I have a web
> form http://www.minionsbandb.co.uk/oldsplitaddtable.html which I need to
> dynamically add rows to (three columns)  the at the end add one of the
> columns.
>
>     My problem is that I can't access the value on dynamic inputs in a
> loop, I can't seem to get the syntax right if I have a form table input
> value which is dynamically named as
>
> newTxt2.name="vat_low"+rowNum  when I do a form eval
>
> var one = eval(document.splitfm.vat_low + rowNum.value);
>
> I don't get the rowNum bit correct I have tried "" (){}[] in many
> combinations but don't seem to be able to add together the two elements.
>     In a DOM inspection the value for vat_low+rowNum starts at "vat_low3"
>
> Any pointers or refs to JavaScript are much appreciated
Theres been a bit flying about about this one so sorry if theres some
repetition here.
1) first test simple cases:
newTxt2.name="vat_low";
var one =eval(document.splitfm.vat_low);
that probably wont work so when reading try using alerts to see if objects
exist - try it on non existant/existant vars so you know how it reacts
alert(document.splitfm.vat_low);
var one = ...

This will probably show you that document.splitfm.vat_low isnt resolving so
try alert(document.forms[0]) and then alert(document.forms[0].vat_low)

eventually you may decide that
alert("vat_low" + rowNum);//to check your string forms ok
var inputID="vat_low"+rowNum;//or whatever works
newTxt2.ID=inputID;

then use:
  document.getElementById(inputID);
 to get at the inputs.