[LUG] OT -floss -> bitchin

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 19:59, Julian Hall wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > You'd think engineers would have heard of impedance missmatch wouldn't
> > you? Tom te tom te tom
>
> Yes, but as you correctly point out, the management haven't.
Great management decisions affecting my career:
1) Accountant at a small company explaining wonderfully why they couldn't
afford to give us a inflation matching payrise and turning up a week later
with a car that, over three years' cost 3* the inflation matching payrise
would have. Happy staff!
2) Another small company planned redundancies and employed extra Permanent
staff in the personell and accountancy depts to 'manage' the cost savings.
3) If I took my laptop into meetings I would sometimes 'act out' the ideas
being discussed in code. In one meeting I wrote the basics of a multivariable
purchasing mechanism. It would have taken me an afternoon to finish a working
prototype. It had been decided the project would be outsourced before the
meeting (but kept quiet to avoid problems). In the end they had 2 managers
continuosly managing the outsourcing and popping off to India every month or
so to look after an afternoons work. I found out later they had intended to
make me redundant but thought they'd keep me on while the outsourcing company
grasped the problem and get rid of me once they had. I got another couple of
years there and the last I heard hadn't got the thing finished! Shame - cos I
had a working version that they wouldn't use because.....

Anyhow I is now a lousy Farmer  - with 7 computers and too much time on my
hands...
Sorry!
Tom te tom te tom