Re: [LUG] Virtual machines/VirtualBox

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:29 -0500, george wrote:
> On Thursday 24 January 2008, viv wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:18 +0000, george wrote:
> > > I have just installed virtual Windows XP using VirtualBox and I thought
> > > my experience might be useful.
> > >

> > Phew - I don't think that it was as hard as that for me (64bit Kubuntu),
> > or I would not have ever got it installed !
> >
> > Viv
>
> A quick update on this.  In the complicated VBox install on the 32 bit
> computer I screwed up the installation so that I had no sound and some very
> strange effects on the file system and elsewhere so I bit the bullet and
> re-installed Mepis.  I kept my home directory and the re-install cured my
> problems.  Doing the Virtual Box install was much easier a 2nd time (you
> don't need the linux-kernel-headers) following my own procedure.  And I
> didn't have to re-install WinXP as that is installed in the home directory.
>
> I then ditched the real WinXP installation (I think I backed up all my files)
> and tried out PCLinuxOS on the resulting space.  This too comes with Virtual
> Box on Synaptic (running with RPM packages) and it installed without a hitch,
> no manual intervention needed.  Also I think the Control Center on PCLOS is
> brilliant, a very good distro all round.
>
> But I think I'll stick with Mepis.  I prefer Debian to Red Hat and from
> release 7 Mepis is now tracking Debian itself rather than Ubuntu.
>
> But I may change my mind next week.
>
> George

I am glad that you got it all sorted out. It sounds like your later
install was more like my experience. I last tried MEPIS when we got our
existing desktop (about April last year). I liked it but, felt at that
time that MEPIS 64bit was "unfinished" - some of the menu options didn't
work etc. Do you think it may be worth me trying it out again ?