Re: [LUG] NSLU2 capabilities?

On Jan 29, 2008 3:21 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am seriously considering the NSLU2, or something eerily similar.
> Basically any low power consumption box that does NAS and runs Linux
> that is (relatively) easily "extend-able" to do other things as well.
> Oh, and it shouldn't break the bank.  Hence my interest in the NSLU2.

Yea  and best way to extend it is to whack Debian on an attached
harddisk, then you can do pretty much what you want with it. In the
limits of memory and processor but it makes a good little server

> Anyway I have several questions about it, the most pressing of which is
> about its drive capabilities.  The specs say it comes with 2xUSB2 ports
> so you can connect 2xUSB2 harddrives to it... what if one were to
> attach a powered USB2 hub and several USB2 harddrives via the hub?
> Would it be OK with this?  (Personally, I can't see how it couldn't be,
> but it's better to check.)

With the default software installed, i have no idea. But when
Debianised its just a system with USB ports so hubs etc do what is
expected.

> How about being a print server for a USB printer?  Is it happy with
> doing this?

Again, yes if Debianised. It is possible to run somethings directly in
the 8MB flash if they are all small enough then no Debianisation
needed, but i coudn't be bothered with this. Its much more fun and
flexible with a full distro.

Mines running a web server and apt repository 24/7 now, its quite a
busy little beast but it means i can turn off my main PC when not in
use to save (lots) of power.

Robin