Re: [LUG] NSLU2 capabilities?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 03:21:01PM +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> I am seriously considering the NSLU2, or something eerily similar.
> Basically any low power consumption box that does NAS and runs Linux
> that is (relatively) easily "extend-able" to do other things as well.
> Oh, and it shouldn't break the bank.  Hence my interest in the NSLU2.
>
> Anyway I have several questions about it, the most pressing of which is
> about its drive capabilities.  The specs say it comes with 2xUSB2 ports
> so you can connect 2xUSB2 harddrives to it... what if one were to
> attach a powered USB2 hub and several USB2 harddrives via the hub?
> Would it be OK with this?  (Personally, I can't see how it couldn't be,
> but it's better to check.)

Can't see why not, though I don't have a powered hub to test (and my hdd
has an external power supply anyway).

> How about being a print server for a USB printer?  Is it happy with
> doing this?

When I tried this it seemed to throw a wobbly; CUPS may be too big for
it. You may have more luck with lpr(ng), but it's worth a try anyway.
(If it works with CUPS, let me know and I'll give it another go.)

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0