Re: [LUG] Virtual machines/VirtualBox

On Thu, January 24, 2008 13:03, viv wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:18 +0000, george wrote:
>> I have just installed virtual Windows XP using VirtualBox and I thought
>> my
>> experience might be useful.  This is fairly long so be warned.
>>
>> I have 2 computers, a 32 bit and a 64 bit, both AMD and both with Mepis
>> installed.  I have a Windows XP installation on the 32 bit which I use
>> for
>> mostly legacy work, the odd app that I haven't found a Linux replacement
>> for
>> and some family trees in a micrografx format that I can't export. You
>> know
>> what a PITA rebooting is so I managed to instal virtual WinXP on the 32
>> bit
>> about a 9 months ago with much kerfuffle. Mepis was then based on
>> Ubuntu, no
>> 64 bit was available and how I did it is lost in the mists of time
>> except
>> that I did it from the command line as it wasn't in Synaptic's
>> repositories.
>>
>> The latest release Mepis 7 is based on Debian 4.0 Etch and that's what
>> this is
>> about and is probably relevant to quite a few on the list.
>>
>> I started with the 64 bit machine (leave the working one be), updated
>> Mepis
>> and there in the Apt repositories in Synaptic was Virtual Box for Debian
>> 4.
>> I installed it and got an error message that it could not compile a
>> kernel
>> (the heart of the virtual system) due to incompatibilities.  The VBox
>> user
>> manual is very good so I downloaded the latest and refreshed my memory.
>> There are several lib files that you have to have but all were already
>> included in the distro.  What you must do is ensure that you have a
>> matching
>> set of the following by checking the versions in Synaptic:
>>
>> linux-headers
>> linux-image
>> linux-kbuild
>> linux-kernel-headers (not too sure about this one)
>> linux-source
>>
>> These files are all installed in /usr/src/
>>
>> The source seemed OK but a couple of the others were not installed. I
>> rectified that and then ran as root /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as
>> instructed.
>> The kernel compiled without a hitch.  But Virtual Box (under System on
>> the
>> menu) would not run as I didn't have permission.  This was my only
>> criticism
>> of the manual as it told me to add my user name to the vboxusers group
>> but
>> not how to do it.  To my trusty O'Reilly's Linux Pocket Guidewhere I
>> found
>> that the place to be is a text file, /etc/group.  VBox install adds
>> vboxusers
> [...]

I seem to recall;

emerge VirtualBox

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.
                -- Dylan Thomas

Disclaimer:

By sending an email to me addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am "the intended recipient";

2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself
to; in particular, I may quote it on usenet or publish it online;

3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company;

4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may
be included on your message.