Re: [LUG] Photography: Gimp classes

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:31:59 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> >> When GIMP finally get GEGL into its stable releases (I haven't
> >> checked it out yet, so I'm presuming it's not there yet) then GIMP
> >> should really be able to compete with "the others" properly.
> >>

> Ok so what is GECL,  ?  I am going to bother using google  it I tried
> to google FSW,  (from a previous post), and was non the wiser as to
> the meaning of it.
>
> Paul
>

>>From www.gegl.org:
"GEGL (Generic Graphics Library) is a graph based image processing
framework.  GEGL's original design was made to scratch GIMP's itches for
a new compositing and processing core.  This core is being designed to
have minimal dependencies and a simple well define API."

So in English... images can have different "colourspaces".  The
traditional approach would be to have a 24bit image... 8 bits for the
Red, 8 bits for the Green and 8 bits for the Blue.  So each pixel
(presuming no compression) would take up 3 bytes.  However other
"colourspaces" exist as well, including CYMK, etc.  GIMP doesn't (yet)
support these because of its existing image processing framework.

As it says, GEGL was originally designed to scratch GIMP's itches for
better image processing.

In short, GEGL should allow GIMP (and other applications that use the
GEGL API) to work with a much wider range of image "types" (and I
don't mean jpgs/gifs/bmps/etc), both as input and output.

GEGL will be a fairly major change.

Grant.