Re: [LUG] Photography: Gimp classes

I am/have been trying learn to use GIMP properly but still cant. I have
been using it on and off since 1997 or so and still dont know how to use
it. To be honest I don't like it and I don't think I really ever have but
as a long term Linux user and free software advocate I have obliged to
stick by it. Try reading a tutorial on a browser then flick back to the
hundreds of gimp windows. Alright I know you can dock them but not into
one window.

With my recent interest in photography I have tried to do more and have
learnt some cool stuff in the GIMP. But I would say if anyone is planning
a business around Linux photography it may be worth having a look at other
options as well to combine with it. As far as I know there are 5 RAW
processing programs available for Linux. UFRAW is available as a plugin to
GIMP. Has anyone seen the recent LightZone beta for Linux? It's not free
but it's a professional solution.

Krita ( http://www.koffice.org/krita/ ) looks be a good competitor and
hopefully gimp and krita development will speed up because of 'friendly'
competition. GIMP's lack of anything but 8bit is such a big problem with
photography.

I have no hopes for a GEGL release for years.

There are several definitions for gimp but this more likely fits
?noun
1.      a limp.
2.      a person who limps; lame person.
?verb (used without object)
3.      to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.

Dave.

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:48:36 +0000
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>
>> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> > It occurs to me that there is a small business to be made out of
>> > providing classes in how to use the gimp to process digital
>> > photographs.
>> >

>> the gimp is improving, my photography probably is, and the idea
>> remains good.
>>
>> We should not forget it.
>>

> When GIMP finally get GEGL into its stable releases (I haven't checked
> it out yet, so I'm presuming it's not there yet) then GIMP should
> really be able to compete with "the others" properly.
>
> I eagerly await the day. :)
>
> Grant.
>
> --

Dave.
Web Developer
http://www.dave-wright.co.uk
http://www.freesoftwarelinks.co.uk
Friends and family web hosting for £30/year