Re: [LUG] PC sharing

george wrote:
> I had a Windows PC and a Linux PC both hooked up to a wireless router with
> ADSL and I shared info with Samba.  It worked pretty well.  I now run 2 Linux
> PC's (Mepis 6.5, Debian based) and I'm having difficulties getting reliable
> file sharing and printer sharing (the printer is permanently hooked up to one
> PC).  I would have thought sharing 2 Linux PC's would be a no brainer but it
> isn't for me.  So, to save my tired old brain some anguish:
>
> 1. Should I still be trying to use Samba, or LISA, zero config service
> discovery (whatever that is) or what?  If I know for sure what works well
> I'll put in the effort to find how to do it.
>
> 2. The printer is an HP5150 USB, no ethernet.  I have seen USB to RJ45
> adapters. Using one of these could I connect directly to the router rather
> than the PC?  (Seems too easy to me.)
>
> TIA
>
> George

I would use NFS (export a folder on each machine, mount it on the other)
google NFS export file system and fstab files for more innfo .
For the printer CUPS should locate a "shared" printer by using the Print
Manager or open a browser and go to http://localhost:631
--
Regards: Kevin Lucas Post Master (Sub) Minions Shop & Tea Rooms Minions
Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE www.minionsbandb.co.uk