Re: [LUG] Backup strategy

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am currently working with a Buffalo Terastation and a Buffalo
> HD-HCU2 Drive station as backup. The backup constantly fails and all I
> can find is the length of time it takes to back the files up.
>
> The reason it takes so long is the files are huge. We're talking cad
> plans of over 25mb and about 6 workers creating these plans maybe once
> a day. So we're maybe talking over 100mb created daily to be backed
> up. The other problem with the backup is that it is on a Linux
> formatted hard drive. So not easy to restore things.
>
> So basically, I need a backup solution that will work in tandem with
> the Terastation and be backing up constantly throughout the day. The
> owner of the business wants to be taking the backup home daily. He
> also needs to restore files quickly - so access from a windows box
> (that's all they have got).
>
> Any ideas please?

can the Terrastation work as a web server?
if so set a web page with ftp for the Winusers to recover files and or
write to CD (use php to link from a file listing)
is the backup failing from Windoze to the Tearastation? you can get them
to buy Solstice NFS which has worked for me in the past when FTP has failed.
--
Regards: Kevin Lucas Post Master (Sub) Minions Shop & Tea Rooms Minions
Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE www.minionsbandb.co.uk