[LUG] New release of gOS on Monday and Linux webcam

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is a new
release of gOS (version 2) coming out on Monday.  For those of you who
don't know, gOS is another distro which is built on top of Ubuntu (or
for those Debian folk out there, a distro built on a distro built on the
stable foundations of Debian with extra unstable bits thrown in for good
measure).  This one though uses Enlightenment rather than Gnome/KDE/XFCE
etc.

Anyway, this gOS was supplied with the $199 Elonex desktop PC.  If you
ask me, they did a good job with the machine (rather than the Tesco
Linux machine which has been discussed on the Ubuntu-UK mailing list and
didn't get glowing comments).

There's an article about it here:

What interested me was the web cam that is 'Linux friendly' called the
gCam.  It's being made by a company called Ezonics.  A quote from the
DesktopLinux.com that I found interesting was...

"In a press statement, Ezonics' CEO Liu Ping said, "We're revamping
Ezonics in 2008 to be 'Web-2.0' focused and 'Linux' conscious. We are
excited to work with gOS to launch the gCam as a first-of-many, Linux
friendly, cloud devices."

Sounds good to me, hopefully their Linux friendly devices will pay off
and maybe they'll release other cheap devices that are supported (with
driver source included).

Anyway, looks promising.  I just hope that Walmart bring these machines
over to the UK this year.

Rob