Re: [LUG] USB stick distros/images

viv wrote:

> I have not used this on a pen drive
> (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/12/04/usb-pclinuxos-2007-install-tutorial/)
> but, use PCLinuxOS on my laptop and have found it to be very good.
> This site has full instructions for installing a range of distros on
> a pen drive. I used it before when I was trying this out. Personally,
> I found DSL very easy to install to a pen drive but, it may not do
> everything that you want ?

Thanks Viv,

I was pondering this one, and may give it a try anyway.

Experience with servers here, is that the default kernels of many
distros often don't hack it when it comes to finding the disk drives (as
you can imagine this can slow recovery process down) - obviously you try
to ensure you have a rescue CD that works before putting a box live, but
other folk aren't as conscientious, and sometimes this is after hardware
has failed and been replaced.

So I was kind of hoping for a focused recovery image.

This site does answer Jon Davey's question, as it does explain how to
write images to USB storage under GNU/Linux and other operating systems.

 Simon