[LUG] wireless frustration

I wonder if anyone in the group can further my understanding, or
something like that.

I've been trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless network with my wife's
laptop, just for the sake of actually being able to do it really.  I
managed after a great deal of messing about to do it in windows (hers
has XP mine has Vista (which is vile evil demon spawn btw phut! phut!)).
I've got my (Broadcom) wireless card working natively in Ubuntu (it can
detect other networks but I haven't figured out how to make it visible
yet) though it's not fully supported yet.

Basically I'll be happy if I can get the XP machine to see this one now
but beyond putting the card in ad-hoc mode and providing an essid I'm
really stumped.  We use wired ethernet for internet and file sharing so
don't have a wireless access point to test against. So, help please!

Many thanks in advance,
Alexis