Re: [LUG] Partitioning Dual Boot

Terry Hill wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a windows XP machine for the other half and I to play games on,
> and, having shoved a new gfx card in it, and would like to take a pop
> at dual booting ubuntu to see what Cedega is like (so I can lose XP
> altogether).
>
> I defragged the HD, and again, and then a third time, but there's
> still chunks of blue all the way to the edge.  It seems the XP defrag
> tool doesn't shove the data to the start end of the disk to facilitate
> resizing any more.
>
> Anyone know of a good and reliable OSS tool out there that will resize
> whilst squeezing the data a little?
>
> Tel.

I believe a lot (if not all) install tools will resize partitions during
install.  If you're concerned about loss of data I would suggest backing
up the old one first, to a second disk or a DVD, flatten the HD
completely, partition it how you want, recreate from the backup.. make
sure it all works, and then go ahead with the install.

Bit of a long way around but it *will* do what you want.  Many magazine
coverdisks give older versions of backup utilities.. I've even seen old
Partition Magic versions given away.

Kind regards,

Julian