Re: [LUG] How long should it take DD to clone a hard drive?

The man page for dd tells you how to get progress information.

"
       Sending a USR1 signal to a running 'dd' process makes it print
I/O statistics to standard error and then resume copying.

              $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!
              $ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid
"

Of course if you've already started it then ps will give you the magic number.