Re: [LUG] Linux PHP editor

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 16:43 +0000, james kilty wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:54 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > 1) Line numbering... on the View menu, or just hit F11 to turn it
> > on/off.
> Thanks - Ihad not explored this.
> > 2) Balance/find braces... yep, that's there.
> > 3) PHP syntax highlighting... along with a ridiculous number of others
> > it supports.
> Amaxing set of options under tools> highlighting
> then there's indentation and encoding!
> Now, why does it tell me end of line is Windows/Dos rather than UNIX? Is
> this a legacy of my first templates (for web pages) being written in
> Notepad?
> --
> james kilty

Yep, spot on.  There are 2 ASCII codes for creating a new line: Char 10
and 13.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Standard_Code_for_Information_Interchange#ASCII_control_characters)

If memory servers me *nix systems traditionally use Char 10 to represent
the movement from the end of one line to the beginning of the next; Macs
traditionally used Char 13 for this purpose, but Windows uses *both*...
Chat 10 followed by Char 13.

When I have a text file that I want Windows people to see nicely I just
make it a .wri file so that it opens in Wordpad by default instead of
Notepad.

Cheers.
Grant.