Re: [LUG] OT: Broadband Migration Woes

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:41 +0000, Terry Hill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having finally decided I'd had enough of plus.net, I found a deal with
> virgin.net - £17.99 for unlimited access, reasonable use seemed fair
> etc.  So after a chat with the Mrs, we decided to go for it, and
> switch.  All seemed to go well, we got our MAC and filled out the web
> form on the virgin.net site - when we got to the end, the price
> suddenly changed to £10 pm.  It seemed a reduction to those
> transferring in was offered.
>
> All went well (ish).  The customer service system was dreadful, and
> the virgin.net website buggy.  I had to call them @ 25p a minute in
> order to find out when I was being connected, as the website said "you
> will be connected on the  between 7 and 9pm".  As soon as the
> migration was complete, the connection was dreadful.  All over the
> place, pings were up across the board by 500ms (rubbish for gaming and
> the wife plays warcraft) and speeds nearly as bad as plusnet,
> sometimes even worse.
>
> I called, and was told the bad speeds were due to line tuning.  Fair
> enough I thought, and waited a week, then emailed them.  No reply.
> Tried the web chat.  The icon disappears when you mouse over it.
> Checked the account webmail.  "Thanks for signing up to virgin calls".
>  What??!  I called them @ 25p a min again.
>
> Basically was told that there is a fault at the local exchange (I
> checked, there IS a routing issue so pings are down, still doesn't
> explain the dismal speeds) but the tech support guy couldn't deal with
> the ordering or transfer me, so I got another number to ring.  I did
> so, and sat in the queue for about 15 mins and finally got through to
> someone who wouldn't honour the tenner a month deal unless I had calls
> to go with it, even though I offered to send screenshots of the
> ordering system.
>
> Anyway, upshot was that I've got a shiney new mac code and nowhere to
> go.  Any suggestions?   (clean ones only!!)

You have all my sympathy. It sounds like a nightmare. My ISP is pretty
good - I had an issue with them over a recent price rise but, all
resolved now. I have not noticed any problems with the connection but,
don't do online gaming (so, I may not have noticed the things that you
have). Speed is the same as with my previous ISP - around 5 meg +. I
have not had the connection go down since I joined but, that is only 1
month or so.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/index.php

Other members of the group have also mentioned experience of :

http://www.ukfsn.org/

http://www.adsl24.co.uk/broadband_home.php

Previously I was with Zen Internet for about 1 1/2 years - they were
very good but, pricey.

Good luck - I hope you find  good ISP.

Viv