Re: [LUG] Complete Newbie Question

On Saturday 01 December 2007 11:25:58 Neil Stone wrote:
> Steph Foster wrote:
> > Don't take this as gospel but I didn't think Ubuntu could do desktop
> > spanning like Windoze could but if you have the screen terminal
> > multiplexor you could have multiple desktops ?
> >
> > I'm not a KDE user , I use GNOME but Ubuntu 7.10 always auto-mounts
> > Windows drives for me and I haven't even set up Samba
>
> 1. Screen spanning is an X feature, not a KDE/Gnome/Whatever feature..
>
> 2. Samba is only used to see windows machines, or act as a windows
> machine on a network. if you have a dual boot system you're no longer
> running windows on that system and as such Samba is of no use at all..
> it's all about mount points and filesystems..
>

> Have you looked through the Ubuntu online docs about multiple monitors ?
> It's not that difficult a thing to attain providing that your hardware
> works ok with X.

For the record I felt I was using XP as a Security Blanket and too quick to
run back so I copied my Mails to a USB Stick, wiped the drive and reinstalled
Ubuntu stand-alone so the issues with the NTFS Drive are moot now (I can
advise it was an NTFS Drive and I did try manually changing FSTAB, with no
effect though).

My next step is to get the Multiple Monitors working - I tried looking at the
Ubuntu Documentation but it all seems orientated to NIVIDA Dual Head Cards
whereas I have three seperate cards (1 NVIDA AGP Card and two Matrox PCI
Cards); interestingly enough the Hardware Centre reports the two PCI cards
(which arn't working) but not the AGP Card (which is working).

In GNOME if you go into Graphic Cards it shows Screen 1 with my 19" Screen
connected to the AGP Card (it recognises the monitor as well); then it shows
Screen 2 (not sure where that's come from) and then two more Screen 1's
(which I assume are the two other Graphics Cards) with no information and
disabled (and I can't seem to get them going).

Someone mentioned XINERAMA and that is the path I'm going to try but it all
seems to be orientated to XFREE86 where my X system reports itself as 'X
Window System Version 1.3.0' - Am I right in thinking this is a fork of
XFREE86 (I seem to remember some spat a while back and Ubuntu went with the
new kid ont he block?) and so anything that applies to XFREE86 applies to
this X System as well? (My config file says XORG.CONF).

Anyway thanks to everyone for their replies I seem to have a long way to go
(MMultiple Monitors, Bluetooth Phone and PDA) but I hope to get there soon.

Regards,
Dave.