Re: [LUG] Asus EEPC - free software provider

Clare Shepherd wrote:
On 28 Nov 2007, at 10:49, Neil Williams wrote:

All those waiting for compliance before ordering - go ahead now. The
fuss is over, Asus are not violating the GPL. Any previous mistakes
are
just mistakes and the company has already put things right and is
ready
to fix problems as they arise.

--

Neil Williams

That's great news.
Clare

yup, I noticed big changes to the source code section of their site a few days back. Now I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to install ubuntu or pclos or something. The wifi apparently doesn't work well with ndiswrapper and there are no other drivers for it is the main drawback for installing something else. Reading the press release (the url seems to have changed since posting and is now http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news11272007.htm) which announces the soon to be assus sdk and the company's happiness to work with OS developers and the huge popularity of the gizmo I guess/hope it won't be too long before drivers and even an alternative distro appear. With the archos PMA some good people revamped the entire distro and released openPMA, a big improvement.

It's a shame, in some ways, that there's no live disc version of XP as I'd be interested to see how well XP actually performs on it (apologies for having the word live in the same sentence as XP). I imagine sluggish is probably an appropriate description of its speed etc.........

Simon
--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk