[LUG] Forwarding

On Nov 29, 2007 6:48 PM, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject:        FW: Important info for dog owners
> Date:   Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:16:42 -0800
> From:   xx xx <xx@xxxxx>
> To: yy yy <yy@xxxxx>, zz zz <zz@xxxxx>, ...

No problem forwarding the OT email to the list. I can imagine that, if
you have a dog, it's quite important stuff to know.

More generally though, when forwarding an email it's always best to
remove all information that is unnecessary for the recipients to
receive. In particular, the To: addresses of the original email. A
piece of malware on the recipients computer could easily grab these
and add them to a database of email addresses. And not only does it
provide the malware with the addresses, it provides them with the
corresponding names as well, making phishing a lot harder to detect.
(PayPal, for instance, always addresses you with your first and
surname and this is the first things to check when you're not sure if
the email comes from PayPal.)

I know almost everyone forwards emails like that, but good practise
never hurt anyone. :)

Martijn.