Re: [LUG] Python OOP

On Nov 30, 2007 6:23 AM, Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Btw, you might be able to find the book for literally almost nothing
> > -£0.01 plus postage- second hand on Amazon. Unless you're really
> > interested in using the latest libraries, for a general introduction
> > you can do with a version that's a view years old.
>
> There have been some major changes in the language since the first edition,
> especially in the way objects are defined and handled. I would recommend
> using an up to date edition. The latest libraries have some significant
> improvements in a number of areas. For example, strings were not proper
> objects in version 1.5.2, the one covered by the first edition.

Good point. Of course, before buying a near-free book off Amazon, it's
good to make sure things haven't changed too much. And it depends on
what you need it for: to get familiar with the language and see it
it's something you like, an old version might be good value. If you've
just found yourself a job as a Python programmer, you should of course
go for the latest edition.

Martijn.