Re: [LUG] Asus, again : Wifi Antenna

On Thursday 29 November 2007 20:06, Dave Berkeley wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 19:16:49 Tom Potts wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2007 18:15, Rob Beard wrote:
> > > Do you have a link?
> >
> > http://www.groklaw.net/
> > currently 2nd article  down on the RHS
> >
> > > Are Asus trying to get GPLv3 code re-licensed as GPLv2?
> >
> > I must confess battle fatigue on this one but PJ is normally pretty
> > reliable. I'd recommend the single malt solution - I think its just Asus
> > having a few problems getting their act together. It looks like their
> > trying their best but they've a few things to fix.
> > Drink malt, wait a while, when the dust has settled and they're fully GPL
> > compliant you can get on with the more serious task of working out
> > whether you can really utilise one of these things ... I've already got
> > to the stage of working out where to put a wifi mast so I can use this
> > while working in the polytunnel - I'm a farmer and I really really want
> > one! Can you die from viral marketing?
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> I always wondered about these. Just a parabola I guess.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/09/flatenna_wi-fi_booster/
>
> There are a host of different designs you might try
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
> http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html
> http://flakey.info/antenna/biquad/
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~tom1572/eng/
> http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/
> http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/double.cgi
>
> You can get 10km out of a big parabolic dish apparently.
>
> Rob Flickenger wrote a good book on all this stuff
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596005024

I dont know if theres a commercial one out there but one humdinger of an
antenna is flat Fresnel antenna - a bit like the lens but just concentric
rings correctly space to work like a parabolic reflector.
When Sky (hock spit) first came on the scene there were a lot of complaints
about the hideous scarring of British architecture with dishes. These were
expensive - a flat Fresnel of the same collecting power laid out flat in the
loft would have cost <£10 and not spoilt the external appearance of the
property. But as the great selling power of Sky was never its program content
they had to rely on penis envy hence dishes!
The continued triumph of marketing over engineering!
Tom te tom te tom