Re: [LUG] Identity theft

I moved house recently and have paid the post office to redirect my post for 6
months. I was surprised to get a final demand from the water company. The
bill had not previously been in my name, but my partner's. We told them that
we were moving. I contacted them and they said they used a "data company" to
find a likely name at that address (in this case I suspect they used the
electoral role), and speculatively send out a bill to anyone they pick. That
means that after I leave the house, the next resident gets a utility bill
with my name on it. Very handy for committing identity fraud. When companies
act like this, it is not surprising that we are awash with identity fraud.