[LUG] swap storms

Hi everyone,

Some work i have been doing on the secondlife viewer has seen some
enormous swap storms and has resulted in me having 0 free memory
(physical or swap), the only way out of this is a reboot.

This has made me think, is there any way to mitigate a swap storm, or
a memory aggressive application to keep it under some kind of control.
There are two reasons for this, one is debugging, its kind of
impossible to debug when you are in a swap storm as the system is now
useless, the other is this seems like a good attack on a system where
you can get access to a compiler.

Regards

Robin