From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CHRISTOPHER BERRY
Sent: 27 November 2007 08:19
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] migrating to Linux

I'd agree! Being something of a Linux ignoramus I have found the monthly LXF Linux Format magazine the easiest to follow! Some mags are written in a foreign tongue at my level of knowledge!!
I have just installed Kubuntu 7.10 and have been greatly impressed - a prob with the apt-get manager now resolved, BUT what do I do about libdvdcss? Go without!?
Have a good day,
Grandad B

Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thomas Arrow wrote:
> Hi,
> I personally found the linux format series great for starting. There are
> thicker than normal magazines for starting up in most places (WHsmiths' has
> them). They expect you to be really new and explain stuff from the ground up.
> As they are produced (I think) once every 3 months then you get pretty up to
> date information.
> After following this guide and dual booting for about a month I trashed my
> computer (accidently) and have used it exclusively on there ever since with
> little drawbacks (wine is brilliant for transitional periods)
> Best of luck!

They're a monthly magazine, and I'd second about being good for
beginners. They also have special magazines for about £10 which usually
include a complete distro and a guide on how to use it.

Rob