Re: [LUG] The missing tax discs

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:38:44 +0000
"Roger Bowden" <creekfella@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have recently joined the LUG and have followed this thread with
> amusement.   So that's how its done!   I didn't understand how difficult IT
> was these days.
>
> I was introduced to computing through PLAN (program language nineteen
> hundred - machine coded and compiled to produce an object program on paper
> tape!) I worked with a Local Authority ICL 1902S having progressed from a
> ICL1901 that had 16k of core.  Heady days!  How I miss those whirring tape
> drives and the punched paper tape.  I remember the first exchangeable disc
> drives - we almost needed a crane to mount them!

Well, bring back old memories, why don't you? I remember the days of
punched cards and paper tape etc very well. And only certain people
were allowed into the air-conditioned room where the big grey boxes
were sitting in all their glory. And we had a room of about fifty girls
who spent their days punching holes in cards or verifying them. Times
change.

I have used Linux exclusively for the last six years or so. Yes there
was a learning curve, but so what? Take the sensible advice from people
on this list and go with it. If you are anything like me you will never
want to go near Windows again. Good luck

Neil Winchurst