Re: [LUG] Fedora 8

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:49 +0000, James Fidell wrote:
> Jason Witcher wrote:
> > On 20/11/2007, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> (Hint for anyone
> >> considering installing Fedora 8: Don't.)
> >
> > Any particular reason? I'd be particularly interested to find out why not as
> > I was planning to install it on my laptop and would have if it didn't have
> > an iffy CD/DVD drive!
>
> So far I've tried to install it on my laptop and a 2.4GHz P4 box put
> together out of stuff I have lying around.
>
> The laptop previously had Fedora 7 installed and after sorting out one
> or two niggles (it hung in multi-user mode when booted, but that was
> resolved with the first kernel update, and it mis-identified the built-
> in wifi card) it worked fine.  In Fedora 8 neither the wireless nor
> wired ethernet interfaces work and I can't get them to work without the
> machine hanging.  I've tried putting in a PC card wifi interface, but
> not managed to get that working either.  It seems to make a complete
> pig's ear of identifying and setting up wifi interfaces.
>
> On the other box (which ran CentOS5 happily and is even relatively
> stable with win xp sp2 installed), the installation went fine and then
> I got kernel panics when booting.  The only way I found to resolve
> that was to completely disable selinux using the boot option "selinux=0"
> but it took me some time to get that far.

That's a shame, I wish I could tell you what the problems were. Have you
checked F8's common bugs page?

Might be worth trying again in a few weeks though, as Fedora often has a
lot of new stuff in, which once in the wild, throws up a lot of new
bugs! They're usually quick with updates, however...obviously you found
this with the F7 release.

Jon