Re: [LUG] OT Web Page Design

peter wrote:

> I know nothing about the subject, got very confused by googling the
> subject, and look for a quick pointer to get me started.

I think the technical side, whilst a huge topic, will be easy for you.

Keep it simple, master some sort of "include" mechanism for repeated
elements across different pages (be it server side or client side
doesn't really matter).

The other side of website design is knowing how to design anything to
look decent. I think this is harder, because it is harder to know when
to stop. At least on the technical side you can draw a line in the sand
(i.e. it looks right in my browser, or it looks right in most browsers,
or it looks right in most browsers and validates), but design you can
keep tweaking ("should the caption font have serifs...", "shouldn't this
graphic be a bit bigger/darker/...").

I have a copy of "the non-designers design book" (second edition), which
 is enough to help me realise why it always looks better when I ask our
web designer to do any aesthetic elements.