Re: [LUG] international characters

Steve Marvell wrote:

> I tried to get gok working so I can type in some Polish words. It was
> a sham. What are you using for typing foreign or accented characters?

I normally use the regular X compose key which is mapped to my "Windows"
key, some distros map this to right alt key by default, but you can
usually set it with the Window managers keyboard GUI these days (rather
than the evil modmap hack I described in my newsletter circa 2001).

Compose ' N = Ń

Comma is used for combining retroflex hook below.

Compose , e = ę

Compose . z = ż

Compose / L = Ł

I don't type too many foreign characters, and with 'compose' I can
usually guess the common European letters, but I hadn't tried Polish before.

In Gnome I have gucharmap, which you can view by script, or Unicode code
page (try Latin Extended-A and Latin Extended-B for Polish), and
character detail should tell you if you got the right one.

język