Re: [LUG] Traffic Management was XCOPY was OT: Why oh why windows at work? . . . File copying

> Yep, good old XCOPY.  Robocopy is pretty good too.  I wish I could find
> something for Windows (command line!) that I could specify how much
> bandwidth to use (Robocopy just doesn't to it exactly how I want it to).

That's a good question- if I was to run rsync or wget or something with
a bandwidth limit, would this stop issues with latency (e.g. for games).

I've got a 2Mb connection which is shared by everyone in my house
(including me using my server remotely). 2 people trying to download
fairly large things at the same time isn't really a problem (correct me
if I'm wrong here) as they will both just go slower. 2 people trying to
play games over the internet isn't really a problem either, since there
is plenty of bandwidth to go around (with maybe a minor increase in
latency). The problem arises when one person is trying to download
something and one person is trying to play a game online, since the
download (either from someone on the inside trying to get a file from
the outside or someone on the outside trying to get a file on the
server) tries to hog all the link and makes the latency too high.

The ideal situation would be that the router was intelligent enough to
let one person use all the link so long as no-one else is using it, and
if more than one person is using it then divide it down equally
(including any spare if one person doesn't want all of their share), but
the question is, is this actually possible or would the latency still be
too high?

Perhaps it's a bit pointless asking, since I'm longer routing traffic
through a linux box, but I'm interested to see if it would be feasible-
I couldn't find very much when I looked before.