Re: [LUG] OT: Minix Operating System

On Thursday 08 November 2007 02:18, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Have other folks seen this and if so has anybody tried it at all please?
> <http://www.minix3.org/>
I've run earlier versions of minix - it used to work on an 8088 and it was
pretty good.
I think there are problems with drivers for it these days but I do vaguely
remember seeing someone was working on a wrapper for linux drivers.
Some of you may be aware of a flame war at one time about Minix.
Minix was written as a teaching aid (Tannenbaums OS book should be compulsory
reading for anyone who does computing at college) and as such couldn't go
open source in case its original purpose.
Linux ( I think he was a student of Tannenbaum) got the hump and wrote his own
called Linux.
If you want to compute run linux.
If you want to learn about OS design and computers run Minix and read
Tannenbaums book.
If you want to pretend to do computing (especially to the board of directors)
run W$ and keep software in the 1980's.
Tom te tom te tom