Re: [LUG] Meeting place in Torbay

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Since McDonalds and Weatherspoons are both now offering free wifi
>>> internet access I wondered if anyone would be interested in trying the
>>> facilities and have a mini LUG meeting?
>>>
>>> Rather than suggest McDonalds I was thinking maybe Weatherspoons in
>>> either Torquay or Paignton (possibly rather Paignton as I get the
>>> feeling it might be a bit quieter).  They offer 30 mins free access
>>> per purchase (think it's per drinks purchase) and I'm sure they
>>> wouldn't mind a few LUG members turning up to discuss Linux and Beer.
>>>
>>> Anyone interested?
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Sounds good, to me,   whats the deal on our younger members going into
>> pubs,  I know anyone over 14 can go in if accompanied by an adult.
>> However the law has been changed recently.
>>

> Not entirely sure, it used to be the case that under 14's could go in if
> they were having a meal with an adult, at least I think thats the case.
>   There is seating outside, not sure if that can be used by under 14's
> (although saying that it'll probably be used by smokers).
>

>> How much is a pint of coke or non alcohol drinks  in weatherspoons these
>> days over £2,  I would guess,   Some pubs charge over £1 for a 1/2 pint
>> of coke,  which is almost as much as a pint in the rugby club (which is
>> one of the reasons I don't go into pubs very often)
>>

> Weatherspoons is very reasonable on drinks pricing.  IIRC the last time
> I had a coke in there it was about £1.29 for a pint of coke (well
> Pepsi).  They also do tea and coffee at really reasonable prices.  I
> have a feeling a cup of coffee is only about 60 or 70p and pints are
> about £1.70 upwards IIRC.
>

>> With the shoreline cafe,  I think neil Stone has identified the issue we
>> were having so we should be able to get on much easier next time we
>> meet  there.
>>

> Where is the Shoreline cafe?

its on the seafront,  (hence its called shoreline) behind the apollo
cinema,   in the evening you can park easily on the seafront,  (if its
anything like last time it included a nice free carwash as it was high
tide and waves were crashing over the sea wall)  I posted a web link in
the thread to the last meeting,  this is also on the lug meetings page.

anyway during the day you can still park IF you can find a space,  its
usually pretty crowded with cars.  So I strongly suggest a few off list
e-mails to arrange car sharing,  or even use public transport.

I agree lets try both.   The last paignton meeting was at the shoreline
cafe,  in the central island there are 2 sets of tables,  on the right
this has access to 4 power sockets (2 at one end  and 2 at the other).
its also well lit,  with some seating out side.  As children are allowed
in with no problem then it saves sitting out side in the cold,

again 1 purchase gets you internet access.

In order to be more flexible I am willing to do the following

Meet up on game days as long as I know in advance so I can sort out
oranges for the rugby club and make additional arrangements regarding
that.  I also want to be down the club by 2:30 so I can watch games.   I
can leave,  and then anyone else can continue with the meeting,  and
leave whenever they want

Meet up on  Sundays is also a possibility,  however I can't be there
until after 13:00 at the latest,  and if Paignton are away and I go with
the team it just depends on when I get back.

So anyone up for a quick meeting this Weekend or is that too short
notice,  perhaps the weekend after 17/11/07 (sat) or 18/11/08 (sun)
main topic should be getting this start here page sorted out and looking
right,  for that you will need a login for the dclug site,  (sent once a
month).

lets  sort something out,  as once that page is looking better the cd
link will be useful.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
11th November. Penzance Computers meet
Lostwithel meeting part 2, - watch this space.
details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug