Re: [LUG] F.A.S.T.

On Monday 05 November 2007 09:34, Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Anyone heard of FAST, the Federation Against Software Theft? I have
> > known about it for years. It appears that there are some new laws now
> > giving it more powers of search etc., and the penalties can be pretty
> > awful.
> >
> > Seems to me to be a great reason for businesses to use Linux instead of
> > Windows. Or am I missing something here?
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
>
> I remember the adverts they had in computer magazines in the late
> 80's/early 90's.  One in particular I remember was about a bloke
> called Bloggo who had a market stall selling dodgy copies of games.  I
> also remember a great spoof called 'Bloggo's Revenge' where Bloggo got
> revenge on the kid who reported him.
>
> Seriously though, this is something that the Business Software
> Alliance have been trying to clamp down on for years, question is, do
> the BSA legally have the right to come into a business and ask for
> proof of original software?  I get the feeling that I read somewhere
> that they haven't got that right, but get stroppy if you don't let
> them in.
If they haven't got a warrant you don't have to let them in.
If you have security considerations then you shouldn't let them in. So no
company should let them in - remember you have an obligation to keep you
customer data secret and for them to do their 'job' they need free reign! So
don't let them in without a warrant. To get a warrant they need some kind of
evidence.
I worked at one company where we let them in and they were only interested in
M$ despite my attempts to get them to look at other stuff.
He who pays the piper......
Mind you if your bored you could always go round their offices and kick up a
fuss if they wont let you in!
Tom te tom te tom