Re: [LUG] Video recording - motion detect

Tom Potts wrote:
> Some kids set a few fires around my daughters school over the break.
> I've been looking for a way to get Linux in there and wondering if theres any
> simple video motion detect software for linux so we could try setting up a
> video and recording all the shennanegins? Preferably for two or three cheap
> (wireless?) cams.

I've been using Zoneminder for a couple of years now on an extensive
cctv system. (~20 ip cameras) and it is frankly amazing - one of those
great bits of kit that surface. I've been quoted almost £5,000 for
professional software that doesn't have the functionality ZM does.

The great news is that its main drawback was it's problematical install,
but it's now included in the standard Debian unstable repositories so
install is a simple "apt-get install zoneminder" (Seriously - it took me
a week to get it built the first time!) There may also be a rpm version
but I don't pay attention to non-debian distros.

As for cameras - works with any ip camera that provides a jpg or mjpeg
stream, any local webcam that linux supports and any normal analogue
with a capture card.

Only word of warning: Do not buy web or ip cams that require "Internet
explorer" as they tend to have proprietry formats and need an activex
wrapper. Zoneminder's forums have loads of helpful info.

--
Simon Avery