Re: [LUG] Partition Problem

aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Aaron Moore" <aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hi
> Just spent ages installing and tweaking suse 10.3. However I created a small
> partition that was supposed to be for another OS.  Stupidly I gave it a mount
> point of usr, and it is filling up fast.  Is there an easy way to transfer the usr
> directory to the root partition and then remount the small partition for an extra
> OS?
> Thanx for any help
> Aaron

Should be possible, the theory follows;

1. Boot with a rescue or live CD
2. Mount your root and usr partitions under /mnt/root and /mnt/usr
3. Copy the data from /mnt/usr to /mnt/root/usr (cp -va /mnt/usr/*
/mnt/root/usr)
4. Edit /mnt/etc/fstab and comment the line pointing to /usr
5. Unmount, reboot

Note, I have used copy rather than move, and comment rather than remove
it's the "just in case" factor here...

That should cover it, let us know how it goes.

HTH

Neil Stone