Re: [LUG] Video recording - motion detect

Tom Potts wrote:
> Some kids set a few fires around my daughters school over the break.
> I've been looking for a way to get Linux in there and wondering if theres any
> simple video motion detect software for linux so we could try setting up a
> video and recording all the shennanegins? Preferably for two or three cheap
> (wireless?) cams.
> Tom te tom te tom

Yep, have a search for Motion (web site is here:
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome).  There is a
package in the Ubuntu repositories and I think they have RPM's and DEB's
on their site.

It's main feature is motion capture.  It supports V4L devices so any
webcam that is supported by the likes of Ekiga and also video cameras
attached to TV capture cards.

It does however need a quick ish PC, something at least about 1GHz
upwards, ideally I'd say nearer 1.5GHz upwards.

Rob