Re: [LUG] Sendmail experts - any idea what happening to my mail?

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 08:52:58AM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> James Fidell wrote:
> >
> > I used to hack sendmail a lot when it was pretty much the only game in
> > town so don't have the aversion to it that many people do...
>
> They were still discovering whole new classes of vulnerabilities in
> sendmail when I gave it up.
>
> I have an aversion, and use to run it, for me it wasn't a case of lack
> of familiarity, just that better alternatives exist, and I no longer
> needed to network with uucp mail hosts and other such historical mail
> systems.

Wasn't Eric Allman (sendmail author) one of the people with the most CERT
advisories against his software ever? After Paul Vixie, IIRC.

Even if you do really need weird and wonderful protocols, you can use postfix,
and I wouldn't be surprised if Exim supported them too. Both of them have
disadantages, though, when compared to sendmail; for example, it's nearly
impossible to get a working postfix configuration by catting /dev/random, but
quite easy with sendmail. ;)

        Ben