Re: [LUG] Sendmail experts - any idea what happening to my mail?

sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have setup a new smtp/pop3 server and ran into some issues.

I used to hack sendmail a lot when it was pretty much the only game in
town so don't have the aversion to it that many people do, but in all
honesty I'm tempted to suggest that since exim is available ready-built
for CentOS5, just install that instead.  It's so much easier than
sendmail to get working.

If you're determined to stick to sendmail though, first I'd stop using
the example.co.uk domain unless it really is yours, since that domain
does exist and may be confusing things.

The error messages look like the sendmail is trying to talk to an smtp
server to deliver email, but failing to connect.  Possibly that's
because the configuration isn't correct and it doesn't recognise
example.co.uk as a local domain, but there should be more data than
that.  I suspect the configuration is set up such that it recognises
w2200a.example.co.uk as the local domain when you want it just to be
example.co.uk.  I'm not entirely sure why it's trying to deliver email
to root@w2200a rather than just root, either.

The lines you give appear to relate to an email that's already
been delayed by 4 days 19 hours, so a fresh sample might be a better
place to start, with all the log entries that relate to that delivery.

Other random things that occur to me are that perhaps sendmail is only
listening on the loopback interface, or that it isn't configured to run
as a daemon in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail.

James