Re: [LUG] Etherboot was EEPROM chips

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2007 16:17, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Not sure how many I'd need yet, possibly one to see if it works.  AFAIK
>> the Etherboot image is about 16 to 32K (although I haven't created an
>> image yet).  It's actually for an LTSP installation at a community
>> centre and they haven't told me how many clients they want yet.
> May not be the case any more but when I was a lad (creak groan) you didn't
> actually need to do a full ethernet boot for ltsp
> You could boot from a floppy (and presumably hard disk/cdrom) and then get
> everything from the server so no need to burn eeproms.
> Tom te tom te tom
>> Rob

Yeah it still works, I tried that last night and picked the wrong
Reaktek 8139 network card (I picked the 8139B) which wouldn't boot.  I
didn't give up though, I installed a basic install of Debian, scp'd over
another Etherboot image (the .zhd image) and used dd to write the image
onto a spare partition.  Works lovely with Grub, I just tell Grub to
boot the partition.

The machine I was playing with does have a floppy drive although I
didn't have any spare floppies to hand.

I did wonder if another solution would be so pop in a small (say 16MB)
Compact Flash card and IDE adaptor.

Rob