Re: [LUG] Clusters, Servers, Networks

> Take it that would work a bit like Folding @ Home or Seti with each
> client (of different spec) working on portions of data?
You can do that sort of task without clustering - they're jobs that are easy
enough to break into small tasks.
One of the things that appeals to me about clustering is the idea of it
looking like one machine - ie one web server or one database server or one
file server (or all of them) while actually being a (possibly dynamic)
collection of machines. Almost all the implementations seem to be symmetric
though.
I'd like to see something that would allow an organisation to seamlessly grow
dynamically - ie you can start of with a one machine (say)  and then just
add/remove things on as you can afford them and the cluster self reorganises.
Now you can do that with a lot of clustering stuff but only with symmetric
hardware. Tanenbaum had some good ideas on this but I think they got lost in
the Minix/Linux 'wars'
Tom te tom te tom