Re: [LUG] Better ways than Flash

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 00:09 +0100, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> if they're making pages in dreamweaver then i presume these ebooks are
> web pages? the only thing that springs to my mind as an alternative to
> swf for embedding in a web page is java. According to wikipedia "As of
> May 2007, in compliance with the specifications of the Java Community
> Process, Sun made available most of their Java technologies as free
> software under the GNU General Public License." so maybe that ticks
> the boxes? To be honest, I'm not a fan of either option.
>
> If they're to be using openoffice to make slides, then normal html and
> images would be good enough for most people wouldn't it?
If they want to use Flash, I presume they would want a sequence of slides
to come up (on click?). I don't know the technology involved to show a
sequence or host it (server side include?) and was wondering if there
were other options. A simple html would be the obvious way for a single
page and I will be recommending they learn to code up pages themselves.
I'd even be willing to give them a start myself in the hope they'd motor
on themselves. As for Dreamweaver, we have Nvu and Kompozer plus others.

I just want a sensible follow up to his suggestion of a "cunning plan"
to get input on GNU/Linux into a MS Academy!

Thanks
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk