Re: [LUG] Yahoo Mail

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 21:23:53 Simon Waters wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> > My question is, does anyone know if I can send mail to the Yahoo mail
> > server using Postfix, (assuming authorisation, password etc is all
> > set-up).
>
> Not done it with Yahoo!
>
> But the Postfix client SASL documentation is here;
>
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl
>

> My Yahoo! Mail account says;
>
> Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):            smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
>
> Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication
>

> Yours might be different.
>
> But you should be able to put those two together, and use Yahoo! as your
> relayhost. I'd have thought it a bad idea compared to getting a static
> IP, since Yahoo! servers often get quite busy, and being a huge service
> you get the corresponding "huge" style support.

Yep, my info is the same, I did wonder if it was something to do with the
certificate I used.  Indeed I'm not sure what certificate to use, Thunderbird
takes care of all that apparently.

Yahoo is huge and windowscentric, but I have no problem with the service,
storage is unlimited and webmail can be very handy.  The reason I want to use
their server is my mails will be treated with more credibility by other mail
servers, rather than originating from an unknown server on a private network.

Cheers............Simon.