Re: [LUG] OT: MP Accountability

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 03:17 +0100, Mike Martin wrote:
> On 16/10/2007, Ralph Smithen <ralph_smithen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry for the off-topic post but I think this is important.  There's a
> > petition to support the Prohibition of Deception Bill.
> >
> > sign here
> > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/2accountabilty/
> >
> > text of bill here
> > http://www.ministry-of-truth.net/documentation/MoTActPDF.pdf
> >
> > see who's voting for and against
> > http://ministry-of-truth.net/mpscoreboard.php

> Despite some MP's I respect (a very dwindling band) supporting this, I
> consider this to be very dangerous
>
> 1. It fails to differentiate between members of parliament and members
> of the government

which group do you think should be allowed to deceive us with impunity?

> 2. Does not distinguish between party and government

the measure refers to an "elected representative of the people" -
entities like "state" and "government" have no soul to save, and no body
to incarcerate

> 3. How do you distinguish a lie from difference of interpretation

trial by jury, once probable cause is established

> 4. Often lies are justified for very good reasons

there are enough planted journalists working to MI5 or MI6 briefs
without our public servants being mouthpieces for propaganda

> 5. The whole thing is made meaningless by exception 5 - national
> security which lets off the very people that should be held to account
> ie: members of the government

refusing to answer questions that may threaten national security is of
course still permitted

> To me a good example of idea that sounds fine in theory, but which on
> further examination is not neccesarily a good thing

I think that now with open intelligence resources and collaborative
research at our disposal, accountability becomes a possible, good and,
yes, neccesary thing