Re: [LUG] OT: MP Accountability

On 16/10/2007, Ralph Smithen <ralph_smithen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the off-topic post but I think this is important.  There's a
> petition to support the Prohibition of Deception Bill.
>
> sign here
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/2accountabilty/
>
> text of bill here
> http://www.ministry-of-truth.net/documentation/MoTActPDF.pdf
>
> see who's voting for and against
> http://ministry-of-truth.net/mpscoreboard.php
>
> cheers,
> Ralph.
>

> --

I've seen this around in other forums

Despite some MP's I respect (a very dwindling band) supporting this, I
consider this to be very dangerous

1. It fails to differentiate between members of parliament and members
of the government
2. Does not distinguish between party and government
3. How do you distinguish a lie from difference of interpretation
4. Often lies are justified for very good reasons
5. The whole thing is made meaningless by exception 5 - national
security which lets off the very people that should be held to account
ie: members of the government

To me a good example of idea that sounds fine in theory, but which on
further examination is not neccesarily a good thing